Sunday, November 16, 2008

THERE IS MORE TO LIFE...

Lance and I went to a funeral yesterday of a very good friends father. It has been a very long time since attending one but it was such an amazing service. I did not know him well but Lance had the privilege of embarking on a few adventures with the family through Zion, which was one of his passions and great loves in life. Lance had grown to respect and love this man like a favorite uncle. Maybe me not knowing him was why I was so impacted by the things his family had to say. It seemed to me that he lived 3 lifetimes and had experienced more than most of us will ever. Playing as hard as he was working, with so many passions. It had me thinking so many things...What would my family have to say at my funeral or even now? What type of mother, wife, sister, friend am I or do I want to be? What impact would I be on the world when I pass...good, bad?
I often times forget about some of the sweet moments in life because I am so wrapped up in my to do list, is my house clean, the lawns or anything else. Ya it is great to be a super hard worker but what is the point if at the end of the day we are enjoying life from our couch! It seems silly that we are putting so much effort into our day jobs, whatever they may be, and then at the end of the day our family gets the leftovers. I am sometimes guilty of this and I want this to be a reminder of what really is important.

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

Such a good post Ris.
I love people that live life to the fullest and inspire us to do the same and remind us what is truly important in life. I want to be like this person you describe.
I think it's so hard not to get caught up in the day-to-day, little things.
I have to say I think you do a really good job of balancing everything. I often don't know how you do it.

*WEST* said...

My heart goes out to them, what a great guy, and family.

It is good to have humbling experiences to remind us of what is important. We for sure need them from time to time. You are a great sis, friend, wife and Mom by the way!!!

Jenn said...

I couldnt agree more! You are definately a great everything. Its nice to step back and reevaluate! Miss you lots!