Today was definitely one of the hardest holidays/birthdays that I have had so far with my dad being gone. Even more than my birthday that fell on Father's day. Maybe it was because it was just about him. No carving pumpkins or cake and cream or anything else that come with all the other holidays just him!
We all met at my house for shepherd's pie, one of his favorites, and to do balloons for him. The little girls colored pictures and wrote letters while the rest of us wrote anything we wanted to say to him. I wrote the things I have wanted to say for awhile and what I would tell him today if I could talk to him and have him answer me back. The things I haven't really said to anyone else. It was hard, really hard! We attached all of the notes to the balloon's and took them to the cemetery. We said a prayer and sang happy birthday to him, holding hands around his headstone. There was hardly any sound coming from us and I believe it was the hardest song any of us have ever sang.
It's still seems so unreal to be there or here writing about it. I don't know that it gets easier with time just maybe more familiar but I do believe I miss him more the longer he has been gone. One more first that we made it through.
We miss you Dad and love you so much. Hope you had an amazing birthday!
8 years ago
1 comment:
I loved this...love you.
Post a Comment